St. Christopher’s began in 1954, with a meeting of families in a local school. From that meeting a mission was formed which became a parish in 1956. The Spring Branch area of Houston has changed much over the years, and St. Christopher's has responded, seeking always to serve the changing needs of the community. St. Christopher's helped establish Memorial Assistance Ministries (MAM), and provides outreach funds and volunteers to myriad community organizations. St. Christopher's Day School, established in 1956, provides excellent, Christ-centered education and after-school care for Spring Branch children.
The St. Christopher's Thrift Shop has been a tradition for over 45 years. It was started by a group of young St. Christopher’s mothers with their leftovers from a church garage sale. In 1980, the Thrift Shop moved to its own building on the church campus. By 1986 the Thrift Shop had provided over one million dollars to outreach projects in the local community. A few years ago, the thrift shop joined with Houston Hospice.
Since 1954, St. Christopher's has had six full-time rectors and four interim rectors. Our sixth rector, The Rev. Robert P. Goolsby, came to St. Christopher's in 2008. His first scheduled Sunday, September 14, was the morning after Hurricane Ike made landfall during the night. In 2011 the congregation launched the "Renewing for Mission" campaign to renovate the church. Construction began in January 2012 and was completed in June 2012. (Above: Suffragan Bishop Jeff W. Fisher knocks on the door of the newly renovated church.) (Below: Interior of newly renovated church with more light, more beauty, improved systems, and complete accessibility.)
1954 Mission formed
1955 The Rev. Herbert A. Wilke, Priest in Charge
1956 Parish Status
1959 The Rev. Charles Fuller Hood, Rector
1988 The Rev. Gary Jones, Interim Rector
1989 The Rev. David Holland, Rector
1990 The Rev. Jack Desel, Interim Rector
1990 The Rev. Dr. W. Scott Blick, Rector
1994 The Rev. Larry Walters, Interim Rector
1994 The Rev. J. Michael Wheeler, Rector
2005 The Rev. J. William DeForest, Interim Rector
2007 The Rev. Dr. Robert G. Nichols, III, Rector
2008 The Rev. Robert P. Goolsby, Rector